Card Files - Using Memorabilia

6:30 AM

One of the long lingering items on my to-do list has now been crossed off.... finally. And I love the result!

I have had a bag floating around with both our engagement cards and wedding cards in it, with an idea on what to do with them, but no more ideas beyond that. I finally forced myself to sit down and get it done, and I'm so much happier for it. People send a lot of money on cards for very special occasions like these (plus all of those beautiful hand made cards), and write some wonderful advise and loving words, that I didn't want to throw them away. I wanted them to be on display for all to see.

These card files were the answer. They have simply been made from 2 pieces of thick cardboard/chipboard a little bit bigger than the biggest card we were given. They have been covered in paper on the outside, lined on the inside and bound with some ribbon/lace. Then they were decorated and holes punched to match the smallest card we had. So simple.

Being me, I have put a bit of a memorabilia twist on these, just to make them more personal again.


The gold paper on the cover of this album, and the ribbons holding it all together are from a gift bag that one of our gifts was in. I wanted to use this as a part of the memorabilia from the occasion. The teal ribbon on the cover and the punched teal butterflies are the same ones from our invitations. The navy blue was also a colour from our invitations/party theme.

The Engaged title is a piece of Words of Whatever chipboard and has been inked with Tim Holtz black distress paint, and the date is Thickers.



The inside has been lined with a black and white/cream paper, where I have recorded a couple of notes from the time.


A view of the inside of the file.


A close up of the front cover so that you can see the layers of decoration.


I have used the same technique with the Wedding card album. The black lace was used on all of our wedding invitations, RSVP cards, menus and scatter cards... It was even used on the cake!! There is a funny story to it too, so I wanted to use it as memorabilia from the event.

The Our Wedding title is a piece of Words or Whatever chipboard, that I have cut down to make two words so that it fits. It has been painted black with Tim Holtz distress paint. The hearts are also chipboard from Words or Whatever and have been sprayed gold with Heidi Swapp mist. The date is Thickers.


The cover has been lined with the same paper as the one above, as I thought it was pretty neutral yet classy looking.



The close up of the front cover.


This is both of them sitting together.... and makes me smile!


Currently they are sitting in my scraproom shelves, and don't look one bit out of place.

The hardest part about this project was punching all of the holes in the cards! My hand hurt after that, but it was well worth it.

I hope I have inspired you to do something with all of the heartfelt cards that you have laying around.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images